Single-Use, Gender-Inclusive Restrooms
The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity and our campus partners work to provide more single-use, gender-inclusive restrooms on the KU campus. Our goal is to offer safe and comfortable places for members of the campus community to use the restroom. We are particularly concerned in offering these restrooms to those individuals who are transgender, gender nonconforming, queer, those with disabilities who have an attendant of a different sex/gender, and parents with young children of another sex/gender.
What is a gender-inclusive restroom?
A restroom that is not gender-specific (e.g. Men OR Women), rather it open to all genders (i.e. a person of any gender can use).
What is a single-use, gender-inclusive restroom?
Likely similar to the restroom you have in your house, apartment, etc. It is a small lockable room with a toilet and sink, for use by one individual at a time, regardless of gender.
Below is a listing of the current single-use, gender-inclusive restrooms on campus:
- Two "Family Restrooms" on main floor across from concessions
- Two "Family restrooms" on 3rd floor, one on each side of garage walkway
Ambler Student Recreation & Fitness Center
- ADA Accessible lockable changing room with shower, on the Basement level, down the hallway towards the Climbing Wall, 1st door on left, adjacent to vending machines
- 2nd floor, two designated gender-inclusive restrooms
Capitol Federal Hall | School of Business
- 1st floor, adjecent to Business Auditorium, Room 1111
- Room 216, ADA Accessible
(stairs to second floor, turn left, fourth door on right)
- Room 327, ADA Accessible (two stalls, but lockable)
(stairs to third floor, turn right, room 327 on left)
- Two single-use, lockable restrooms, designated as men/women restrooms
(note: these are not labeled gender-inclusive, but they can be locked from the inside)
(in the back next to the "Bride's Room", these restrooms are labeled as "men's" and "women's")
- Once gender-inclusive restroom on the ground floor, directly between the gendered restrooms.
Green Hall | School of Law
- Single-use restrooms inside of Legal Services for Students, Room 212
- 1 gender-inclusive restroom, near Rm. 422 - within the Student Involvement & Leadership Center suite on the 4th floor
- Basement floor: Room 38 (using the main entrance on the east side, go down the stairs to the 2nd floor, and head towards room 225. There is another set of stairs down to the basement at the end of that hallway. Once in the basement, the bathroom is in the first hallway to the left, last door on the left.) (note: these are not labeled gender-inclusive, but they can be locked from the inside)
- One gender inclusive restroom on the ground floor, room G401 (next to lecture Hall G400)
- One gender inclusive restroom on the 1st floor, room 1344 (close to one of the elevators on the floor)
- Room 147
- Four "Family Restrooms" on ground floor
- 2nd floor, entering from the main entrance (located on the west side of the building across from Templin Hall), turn right. Near the end of the hallway, turn left—the restroom is located past the conference room and kitchen area.
School of Pharmacy
- Family Restroom 2036, ADA Accessible
(near 2nd floor elevators)
- Two gender-inclusive restrooms located on the 1st level corridor near the entrance lobby
- Room 15 (basement)
- Room 120
- Room 304N
Watkins Student Health Center
- 1st floor:
- One gender-inclusive restroom- Rm. #1087 (across from Rm. #1600 and Radiology, next to the east entrance elevator)
- Two restrooms- Rm. #1211 &1213 (these restrooms are single-stall, lockable but they are labeled "men" and "women")
- Two restrooms- located the the right of the main entrance, across from the elevator (these restrooms are single-stall, lockable but they are labeled "men" and "women")
- 2nd floor:
- One gender-inclusive restroom- Rm. #2409 (across from Rm. 2401 the Crimson & Blue room)
- Two restrooms- Rm. #2151 & 2153, past CAPS and Testing Services, near antique furniture display (these restrooms are single-stall, lockable but they are labeled "men" and "women")
- One gender-inclusive restroom- Rm. #2605A, in hallway across from Admin. Conference Room
- Two restrooms- Rm #2705 &2707, next to IT and Physical Therapy (these restrooms are single-stall, lockable but they are labeled "men" and "women")
- 3rd floor, (the entry level floor) two gender inclusive restrooms, rooms 300A & 300B (located next to the gendered restrooms on the floor)
- Room 3522, ADA Accessible
- Room 3523, ADA Accessible
(both adjacent to the two large lecture halls)
This list will be updated frequently as we continue to advocate for more single-use, and gender-neutral restrooms on the KU campus.