KU Greek Life: For Parents and Families
Positive Parent and Family Involvement
Parents can play an important role in their students’ college experience, but often times aren't sure what their role is or should be. From our experience working with many students and parents, here are a few tip to help you if your student is considering Greek Life:
- The decision to join: Some students will choose to join a Greek chapter and some will choose not to. If your student's decision is different than you thought it would be, talk to him or her and try to understand his or her perspective.
- Support during the process: Students need support throughout the process of recruitment/intake and new member education. Be supportive and learn as much as you can about Greek life by asking questions of your student as he or she learns about the chapters at KU. If your student decides to pursue membership in a fraternity or sorority, be there, be supportive, and allow your student room to make his or her own decisions.
- Variety of experience: Fraternities and sororities are different on every campus and change over time. The place you loved on your campus may not be the same place you son or daughter loves at KU. Similarly, your chapter at KU may be very different than it was when you joined. Know that all of our Greek chapters at KU will provide an outstanding experience for your student.
- Be involved: Once your student joins, there will be many activities and events for you to attend or become involved with. Whether they show it or not, your student will most likely love your involvement with the chapter's parent activities.
- Keep in contact: Keep the Greek Life Staff contact information on hand if you have any questions or concerns about Greek Life at the University of Kansas. We are happy to talk with you concerning any questions or concerns!
Members of the KU Greek Community are responsible for knowing and understanding policies set by the University of Kansas as well as by their governing council. Important polices that students need to familiarize themselves with include:
- The University of Kansas Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities
- The University of Kansas Alcohol Policy
- Anti-Hazing Policy Statements (pdf)
- Membership Recruitment Acceptance Agreement (pdf) (Panhellenic Sororities only)
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for Parents to learn what your son or daughter can expect from Greek Life at KU.
Parent E-List The KU Parents E-List is available for parents or guardians of KU students as an information resource in the form of an e-newsletter. This list will bring information about KU straight to your e-mail box on a regular basis. Additionally, announcements concerning KU programs, services, events or activities may come to you from the greater University community. Join the list.
Questions to Ask:
It's good to have questions before entering any commitment and we encourage parents, guardians, and students to ask Greek members some of the following:
- What are the time commitments in your new member program?
- How does the entire chapter play a role in the new member education process?
- What are the costs to join your chapter? What are the local and national dues?
- What are the in-house and out-of-house dues? What are the initiation/one-time fees?
- What is your relationship with your chapter staff, the Office of Greek Affairs, your national organization, and your local adviser?
- What is your chapter GPA? What does your scholarship program involve?
- What are some examples of your members as leaders in the Greek Community, at the University of Kansas, and within Lawrence?
- What is your chapter’s service project and local/national philanthropy?
- Has your chapter been sanctioned by its council,the University,or inter/national organization for misconduct? Is it on a probationary or other special status? Is your chapter registered with the University?