The Student Involvement and Leadership Center (SILC) prepares students to become contributing members of society by providing meaningful co-curricular experiences. SILC is responsible for coordinating registered university organizations and providing leadership education experiences for students in addition to providing programs and services to specific target populations including fraternity/sorority members, non-traditional students, and students of all gender identities, gender expressions and sexual orientations. A Student Affairs department, SILC has six full-time professionals and a number of graduate/undergraduate student employees.
Every student is individually validated and empowered to find their community.
Provides impactful co-curricular experiences through educational, social, and community-building programs and events.
We engage in each student’s identity development by providing mentorship, resources,
and involvement opportunities in order for students to be empowered to engage in their individual communities.
Guided by a commitment to excellence, The Student Involvement & Leadership Center prepares students for leadership and service through instructional programs and co-curricular activities designed to meet the following competencies:
- Critical Thinking: Identifying important issues, considering alternative perspectives, seeking information, and making informed judgments.
- Ethical Reasoning: Incorporating and exemplifying values and principles in personal decision-making and actions.
- Self Awareness: Recognizing one’s multiple identities exhibiting interdependence within one’s groups, organizations, or communities.
- Engagement: Establishing a meaningful connection through campus involvement developing supportive relationships with others.
- Diversity: Appreciating all identities and cultures within a diverse society, promoting equality and inclusivity, and demonstrating consideration for the well-being of others.
- Leadership: Demonstrating effective guidance, communication, and skills in assisting an organization toward meeting its mission, vision, and goals.