Is your organization thinking of hosting an event? Check out our step-by-step guide and let us know if we can help!
1. Getting Started
Make sure you allow enough time to complete your plans, obtain the necessary approvals, and submit your event request.
If your group is not registered with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, you will need to register your group online at Rock Chalk Central. Your organization must be registered before you can submit an event request.
2. Solidify Your Plans
Reserve rooms with appropriate reservation clerk (see below), and obtain a confirmation number or a confirmation email.
Arrange for food/snacks/beverages with KU Dining Services or Housing Food Services.
Requesting a food exemption.
Late night parties: Arrange for security; indicate security plans on the activity form. Also indicate any entrance restrictions, such as KUID only. Groups are responsible for removing any post-party refuse.
3. Register Your Event on Rock Chalk Central
Student Organizations are required to complete the Event Registration form, located on Rock Chalk Central. Only primary contacts and positions with full access over Events can register events within an organization. Follow these instructions to create an event:
- Login to Rock Chalk Central using your KU Online ID and password.
- Manage your organization by selecting Manage from the switchboard and choosing your organization. Then go to Events in the organization tool menu.
- Click on Create Event. Enter an event title, theme, description, start and end time, and location into their respective boxes. Required fields are marked by the red asterisk at their start.
- Follow the instructions on your screen to upload related documents and agree to abide the outlined event policies.
After creating an event, you will receive a notification about the status of your submission via email from Rock Chalk Central.
4. Take Attendance at Your Event
One of the expectations of hosting an event is that student organizations will take attendance.
The Campus Labs® Event Check-in App makes attendance tracking easier than ever. The simple setup requires two main components: a Rock Chalk Central event pass for attending users and the mobile app to scan passes for the event hosts.
Event attendees DO NOT need to download an app to be checked in, only the event hosts who are checking users in. To start checking users in, download the free app on your preferred device:
Using the Mobile App
Once you’ve downloaded the app, open it up! The first screen will ask you to enter an event access code. This code is provided after you register an event on Rock Chalk Central. If you haven’t registered your event, you’ll need to do this first before you can use the app to track a attendance.
To locate the code, navigate to the event through the Action Center. The access code should appear in the bottom right of the screen once you click on the appropriate event. Enter the code into the mobile app, tap Start Session, and you’ll be prompted to sign in. Type in your credentials (the same you use to sign in to Rock Chalk Central) and you’ll be directed to the event’s check-in page.
Tap Start Scanning and you’re ready to scan! If your phone asks for permission to use your camera, choose “yes” because it will need the camera in order to scan event passes. Position the edges of the box over the edges of an attendee’s Event Pass. As soon as it recognizes the user, it will display a box with their basic details, including their RSVP status. Tap Check In to confirm the user and click OK to continue scanning.
If you come across an attendee without a mobile pass, tap No Pass? below the scanning area or select Lookup from the bottom menu. Search for the attendee by name or email and when you find the right person, tap their name to confirm their check-in. If searching by email, you will need to enter the complete email address of the user to locate them. If the attendee is not in the system, you can add them by email if you click the plus sign in the top right of the screen, type in their email address, and submit.
Accessing Your Rock Chalk Central Event Pass
Your Rock Chalk Central Event Pass is a unique QR code that allows you to quickly check-in to events happening on campus. You can access your pass one of the two ways:
- Start by signing in to your Engage community. Next, click on your profile picture in the top right of the screen (it may display your first initial if you do not have a profile picture). Click Event Pass and it will display your unique code. If you’re viewing the Event Pass from your mobile browser, you should see the option to add the pass to your Apple Wallet or Android Pay. These options make it easier to access your Event Pass at a later date. You can also choose to take a screenshot of your pass or print it.
- Download Corq, the official mobile app for Rock Chalk Central. Once you are logged in to your account, simply open up your menu in Corq and select Event Pass to generate your unique pass.
Once you’ve decided on how to store your Event Pass, get out there and attend an event!