Non-Traditional Student Scholarships
Peedee Brown Award — Undergraduate students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, full or part-time enrollment. Preference is given to an unmarried custodial parent.
Mary C. Breakey Award — Graduate or undergraduate female, Kansas resident, 1-6 credit hour enrollment only.
Soad El-Hodiri Award — Undergraduate only, male or female, full or part-time enrollment.
Paula Gottdenker Award — Graduate or undergraduate female, age 50 or older, unmarried, full or part-time enrollment.
EOF Nontraditional Student Leader/Veteran Need Scholarship — Undergraduate only, enrolling in 6 or more credit hours for upcoming Fall semester. Demonstrate significant contributions to campus and/or community.
Scholarship Application Process
You will be asked to provide the following on your online application:
- Verification of completing the FASFA to federal processing (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only) OR the International Student Needs Analysis Worksheet to the Office of Student Financial Aid (International students only). *Note: With the exception being the Peedee Brown Award, all scholarships require financial need (filling out the FAFSA with Financial Aid) as a primary criterion.
- Verification of all personal and demographic information.
- A current Degree Progress Report (DPR) or KU academic transcript (transcript can be unofficial).
- A personal statement. Statement should be typewritten, double-spaced, 12 point font, and 750 words or less addressing the following topics:
- Educational commitment and goals, including any future plans to continue your education.
- Personal and professional short term and long term goals.
- Financial need, including explanations of any special circumstances (loss of income or assets, additional expenses, etc.) unaccounted for in your financial aid information.
- Personal history, such as family background, special interests, activities, community service, and previous awards or recognition.
- Campus and community leadership contributions and involvement regarding any issues or groups.
- Any military service and why you chose to seek higher education.
- A current resume.
- Two (2) letters of support, one of which must be from an instructor, addressing your character and dedication to academia.
Submit your application via The University of Kansas Scholarship Opportunities Portal. These items must be submitted at one time. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Follow these steps to submit your application:
- Navigate to the KU Scholarship Portal
- Click the red “Sign In” button at the top.
- Sign in with your KU credentials.
- Complete the General Application if you have not done so yet. It is simply typing your name and today’s date.
- Copy and paste the link* to the Nontraditional Student Scholarship Application into your address bar: https://ku.academicworks.com/opportunities/20050
- Click the red apply button at the bottom right corner.
- Complete and submit your application.
Applications open March 7th, 2022 and are due April 1st, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. to the Student Involvement & Leadership Center via The University of Kansas Scholarship Opportunities Portal. With the exception being the Peedee Brown Award, all scholarships require financial need (filling out a FAFSA with Financial Aid) as a primary criterion. Scholarships that require financial need as a primary criterion will need a FAFSA packet filled out with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships as part of the application process. The amount and number of awards may vary each year. A selection committee will determine who will be awarded and the amount to be awarded to each selected applicant.